Unix Network Administrator - Job Interview Questions
These are questions for Unix by which you can use to prepare your
Unix job as a technical or as engineer or as an administrator, there are
some about programming.
- How do you list the files in an UNIX directory while also showing
- How do you execute a UNIX command in the background?
- What UNIX command will control the default file permissions when
files are created?
- Explain the read, write, and execute permissions on a UNIX directory.
- What is the difference between a soft link and a hard link?
- Give the command to display space usage on the UNIX file system.
- Explain iostat, vmstat and netstat.
- How would you change all occurrences of a value using VI?
- Give two UNIX kernel parameters that effect an Oracle install
- Briefly, how do you install Oracle software on UNIX.
System Admin Interview
- Job Scheduling; mainly crontab, at, batch command
Backup strategy; incremental, full system back up; diff between tar
- Diff between hard link & softlink
- How to list only the directories inside a directory (Ans. ls -l|grep
- RAID levels; pros & cons of diffrent levels; what is RAID 1+0
- How to recover a system whose root password has lost?
- What is a daemon?
- How to put a job in background & bring it to foreground?
- What is default permissions for others in a file?
- Questions on shell initialization scripts?
- Questions on restricted shell
- What is diff betwn grep & find?
- What is egrep?
- Questions on shell programming
- What is a pipe?
- Questions on Solaris patch management like pkgadd etc
- Questions on file system creation; actually what happens when we
create a file system?
- Questions on RBAC? what is a role accound & what is a profile?
- From command line how will you add a user account? the full command
will all arguments.
- Fs it advisable to put a swap partion in RAID1 (mirroring?) pros
General UNIX Interview Questions
- What are the main differences between Apache 1.x and 2.x?
- What does the ”route” command do?
- What are the read/write/execute bits on a directory mean?
- What does iostat do?
- What does vmstat do?
- What does netstat do?
- What is the most graceful way to bring a system into single user
- How do you determine disk usage?
- What is AWK?
- What is SED?
- What is the difference between binaries in /bin, and /usr/bin?
- What is a dynamically linked file?
- What is a statically linked file?
Hope you find the above questions useful for your unix job interview.
more Unix Questions
Have a Unix Problem
Do you have
a UNIX Question?
Unix Books :-
Programming, Certification, System Administration, Performance Tuning Reference
Return to : - Unix
System Administration Hints and Tips
(c) www.gotothings.com All material on this site is
Every effort is made to ensure the content integrity.
Information used on this site is at your own risk.
All product names are trademarks of their respective
The site www.gotothings.com is in no way affiliated
with or endorsed by any company listed at this site.
Any unauthorised copying or mirroring is prohibited.