1. What are the necessary steps you will follow in a RAID 5, when one of its disk gets failure (Physical Damage)? And explain the procedures also for RAID 1 (Mirroring).
2. How will you find out which are ports open in an SUN box? And how to block the unwanted ports?
3. Is there any tool to keep on monitor the server CPU and Memory Usage, rather than keeping a person to sit on the server and monitor the critical things? I mean that is there any third party / built-in tool to monitor and prepare a report of all the details, and when ever we demand to know the server performance, at that time we should be able to see the process?
4. Can you please give me the output of sar command, as they asked me in the interview time, and what are the fields present in that?
5. What is kernel tuning parameter in Performance Tuning?
6. What is the architecture for NIS in UNIX? Does a Linux/AIX/HP-Unix/Solaris client can become a client for Linux/AIX/HP-Unix/Solaris Server? In other words how the authentication does takes place in a heterogeneous environment, apart from the file sharing? Let me brief the scenario: Forget about the server part basically a server side is a heterogeneous network, when there are more than one flavour of UNIX with windows machines as clients, how does the authentication takes place?
7. How to use the nice command for process scheduling?
8. What are the different types of cluster? How can we monitor whether a cluster is running or not from an remote site and what are the daemons responsible running for it?
9. What is meant by filer?
10. I had an interview with YAHOO.COM for the post of SAN Administrator. They asked around lot of questions like how to make zoning in a fabric, what is the structure in EMC and Hitachi? Is this the same that we did with ATTO Bridge and Vixel Hub?
11. How to handle big storages and how it will be look like?. Assume in Wilshire Technology we had an 4-6 SCSI storage array, when we get big big storages with plenty of SCSI storage array, how to store it and do I need to implement a RAID on those(plenty) arrays?
12. To handle in the remote console/machine. Basically I have learnt ReflectionX, Humming Bird and Telnet? But in real time scenario people are asking me not to use any of these, as an administrator needs a console to work on it, why an administrator need an X-Window or telnet screen? And those interview guys gave me the answer that you people have to use ssh. Now my question is, is ssh is just like an telnet screen or something different. I would be happy if you explain how to login into ssh and operating and just how to quit from ssh, and what are the extra features.
13. Assume that we have a machine critical process and we have a clustering in order to establish failover and load balancing. As we did the cluster in Wilshire demo, that is fine. But assume that we are running an website(www.yahoo.com) on that cluster(5 servers for fail over) how the ipís are forwarded in that cluster for fail over and how load balancing is done over there in that cluster. If you say that all the 5 servers carry different ip address means, how does the ips are forwarded towards the site(www.yahoo.com), because an site carries only ip address? If you say that all the five servers carries same ip address, then network ip address conflict wont happen?
14. Also tell me how to make the load balancing for the above scenario?
15. In a cluster if there are heterogenous servers are present, then how does the authentication and file sharing takes place?
16. When CD-Rom cannot be unmounted so what we have to do to forcefully unmount, lot of times in Wilshire they have done it but I didnít noticed it.
17. What is the difference between kill and pkill?
18. After killing the service also, still the services are running. How to stop the services forcefully?
Have a Unix Problem
Return to : - Unix System Administration Hints and Tips
(c) www.gotothings.com All material on this site is